Hey! Long time no see! Now, you probably saw this one coming. Today’s Fictional Journalist of the Day is none other than Howard Beale of the iconic 1976 movie Network. Why? Because he’s mad as hell, and he’s not going to take it anymore! That, and he was “the first known instance of a man who was killed because he had lousy ratings.”
On that note, let’s look at the links!
– Interesting behind the scenes look at The Smoking Gun. (NY Times)
– How does your salary stack up? (Parade)
– A little late now, we know. However, this is a pretty good read for a few reasons. First, we find out that one of the contributors at TheBigLead makes less than $40k. Second, the readers/commenters subsequently give him the bidniz for said annual income. Third, tax advice for gamblers! (The Big Lead)
– Celebrity incomes! (Parade via AOL)
– Another interesting read on Gawker’s payscale and blogger compensation strategy. It’s riveting stuff people! Trust us. (MediaShift via Romenesko)
– On a related note, the temptation to pander and hype stories is greater than ever. (NY Observer also via Romenesko)